14 Jul

I have been praying about this for a while now but I think that I want to get my masters in English as a Second Language.

I’m not sure how to go about this. I need to research it a bit too. Does anyone know of any good schools that have this in their Master’s program?

I would really like to learn another language as well. I’m just not sure which one.


5 Responses to “ESL…”

  1. CogitoErgoCogitoSum July 14, 2009 at 1:58 am #

    How do you expect to teach English to someone if you don’t speak their language?

    You must make the assumption that they already know some English, sufficiently such that you don’t need to learn theirs.

    It makes sense that each teacher of ESL ought to know a specific language for a given student. Or else you’re not teaching English, originally, so much as expanding on what they already know.

    Make sense?

    The alternative is total immersion, which I do not believe is practiced in English-speaking academia.

    • mallyeryn July 14, 2009 at 2:16 am #

      yes, I believe that I do need to learn another language before I can teach someone ESL. But, I am going to Japan to teach English over there. But they are have immersion programs.

  2. Christa July 14, 2009 at 5:49 pm #

    Actually, a very effective way to teach English, even overseas is through immersion. I’ve stood before groups of people who didn’t know one word of English and taught them colors, greetings, numbers, and other English words.

    Knowing other languages is very useful. A romantic language, such as Spanish, Italian, French, are helpful, because they are so closely tied together. I took Spanish, and when I went to Romania, it was easy for me to pick up some words, because Romanian is a romance language.

    Since you are going to be in Japan, however, the romance languages won’t be of much help to you, probably. Learning a good language is great idea, though because many jobs want you to be bilingual. Also, if you decide to get your doctorate, it is a requirement for many programs that you be fluent in another language besides English.

    I know that the University of Memphis has a Masters in English with an emphasis in ESL. This degree is more marketable, as it is focused in ESL, but still listed as an English degree. This program can be done online.

    Another option is to get a Masters in Intercultural Studies with a certification in ESL. Wheaton University has this program, and it looks to be a good one.

    Sorry, for so much information. I have thoroughly researched this for myself. If you have any question, or there is any way that I can help you, just Facebook me.

  3. hannahruthie July 26, 2009 at 3:12 am #

    SPU has a Master’s program for ESL. But it does cost an arm and a leg and maybe your liver. It’s in Seattle though!!

  4. mallyeryn July 26, 2009 at 5:50 pm #

    Well maybe by then I can afford to give my arm leg and liver away to get my masters. Orrrr what would be even better is if some lovely school district in SEATTLE would PAY for my masters. That would be the key!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: